History

The TCA was founded in 1935 by John Charles Thompson of Dallas. That was also the year of the first annual Southwest Open. “J.C.” went on to win first place seven times, and second place another seven before his work took him abroad in 1952. The Texas State Championship series began after World War II, and Thompson won three consecutive titles in 1947-49. Master Emeritus and TCA founder John Charles Thompson died July 5, 1999. (Obituary)

Two other players would have a similar hegemony over Texas title events: Thompson’s star pupil Ken Smith (11 Southwest Opens, 10 Texas Championships), and Joe Bradford (11 Southwest Opens, 12 Texas Championships).

Texas State Champions, 1946 to present
Southwest Open Champions, 1932 to present